We stayed two nights at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa as their guests so we could experience the holiday events. All opinions are based on our family’s personal experience at the resort.
By now, you’ve stuffed yourself with turkey, dressing, and all the other traditional holiday dishes. Now, you might want to kick back and relax, but with the sun setting on Thanksgiving, it’s crunch time for Christmas. String the lights. Trim the tree. Hang the stockings with care, or haphazardly, if you decorate like me. Tis the season to be joyful, and merry, and stressed to the max.
Or, you could switch things up a little this year, like we did last weekend. Instead of dragging boxes of decorations out of the attic: pack the car, load the kids, and head to the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa. The halls are decked, and they are spreading the Christmas spirit with fun activities. Oh, and with a little magic from the North Pole, you can get rooms for a steal during the JW Marriott San Antonio Holidays (Starting at $139).
We arrived with just enough time to see Santa and Mrs. Claus arrive for the annual lighting of the tree. There’s something magical about the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, that helps even the most tired and stressed out people relax. Even after traveling thousands of miles on their sleigh, Santa & Mrs. Claus were in a jolly mood as they posed for photos. Every Saturday evening Santa and Mrs. Claus visit the JW Marriott Hill Country Resort library for photos. For $25 you’ll receive a flash drive with up to five photos. Times vary, call 210-483-6647 for reservations.
It might have been 70 degrees outside, but everything was merry & bright as his elves mixed and mingled. I was making my list, and checking it twice. Not my Christmas shopping list, a photo opp list. Pictures with Santa-check; pose with an elf-check; drive Santa’s sleigh-check; kids swimming in November-check.
San Antonio might not be your typical “Winter Wonderland”, but the JW Marriott San Antonio knows how to decorate. Next year, I plan on returning to shoot our Christmas card photos, somewhere on the property.
JW Marriott San Antonio Holidays Events
- Nightly light shows in the backyard from 6:30pm – 10pm. Sip on some hot chocolate while you watch the twinkling lights as they are set to holiday music. (Open to guests and San Antonio locals)
- Yuletide Carolers – Be serenaded by carolers as they stroll throughout the resort Saturday evenings in December.
- Write a special letter to Santa with the help of the JW Elves, and he may just respond with a special note during your stay!
- Create artwork of your favorite JW Hill Country Holiday memory and enter the Holiday Card Contest.
- Share a Saturday morning breakfast Santa and Mrs. Claus at 18 Oaks (Check JW Marriott San Antonio website for pricing)
- Elf Tuck-Ins: Keeping the magic of Santa alive with your children (up to age 12), make a reservation on Saturday nights for an elf to visit your room and tuck your child in! ($20 per child)
- Join Santa’s elves for storytime in the library on Friday evenings at Santa’s workshop
- Decorate cookies or a gingerbread house in the gingerbread workshop (check resort for rates)
- Train with Santa’s elves to become an honorary elf! Learn the secrets of the magical and mischievous lives of Santa’s elves, plus a holiday keepsake ($35)
- Friday & Saturday evenings make s’mores with sweet peppermint bark chocolate
The holiday activities hadn’t started yet during our stay, but we found plenty of things to see and do. Even though it was a bit chilly, the kids loved riding the water slides and floating down the lazy river. Heated pools are great, until you get out and the wind is blowing. No worries, the restaurant keeps hot chocolate on the end of the bar.
There are so many reasons the JW Marriott San Antonio is my favorite resort. Beautiful views, pools with waterslides, supervised kids activities, restaurants on site with locally sourced food, and more. The #1 reason: exceptional customer service.
I was holding my son, drying him off and trying to warm him up while waiting for my daughter and husband. A lifeguard walked over, and asked my son if she could bring him some hot chocolate to help him get warm. She had no idea I was media, and would be sharing my experience. Then, after returning to our suite, I found a note from our housekeeper wishing us a safe trip home with extra water bottles. Thank you JW Marriott San Antonio for showing your guests they are welcome and appreciated!
Make sure and “Like” the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa Facebook page and follow @JWSanAntonio on Twitter for news and specials.